Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Potter Cover Art Ready to Roll

It won’t be long before you’re seeing it everywhere but, for the moment, you can see it right here: the cover art for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final book in J.K. Rowling’s astonishingly successful series.

Here we have the new cover in three flavors: (from left) U.S., UK adult and UK junior. (And, incidentally, the UK covers are also the Canadian covers.)

I must say, I'm a little disappointed by both cover designs. (And I mean the junior covers: the UK adult covers have always been too bland to bother commenting on. What else would one expect from an object cover intended to provide little beyond camouflage on the Tube?)

Maybe both illustrators were so mesmerized by their design briefs (“The final book! The final book!”) they lost track of just creating something attractive and enduring.

Or it’s possible it’s just me. Though I don’t think I’m alone in having impossibly high hopes for the final book. Even the accompanying art. I was expecting covers that produced a deeper response than a shrug and a “Meh.”

Right then: ‘nuff said. For now. There will be plenty of Potter brouhaha between now and the release date of the book on July 21st. We’ll try to keep it to a minimum.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not just have one cover? I don't get it. It's Harry Potter, for cryin' out loud! It's gonna sell.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 9:39:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.